Academic Writing Help: A List Of Common GED Essay Topics
There are two parts to the writing section of the GED writing section. The first section will have you answering a series of multiple-choice questions before you continue on to the second section - writing the essay. with no right or wrong answers to the essay, every student is graded by how well they have done the writing.
In a typical essay there are five paragraphs: the introduction, three paragraphs to support your position, and the conclusion. Make sure that you fully understand what the writing prompt is asking of you. Take note of the main ideas and key words, and then create an outline by brainstorming. While the topic you are asked to write your GED essay on could be anything at all, there are some common questions that seem to be asked more often than others. To give you an idea of what to expect, here is a list of popular topics chosen by graders:
- Which animal would make the best pet for you? Why?
- Do you believe that too much time is spent on social media?
- What is your opinion on every high school student needing to complete one year of mandatory service in their country's military before getting a job or going to college?
- When the time comes to choose a job, what do you believe the most important considerations are?
- Where would you live if you could live anywhere in the world? Why?
- A true friend is hard to find. What qualities do you believe make someone a good friend?
- Do you think it is better to live in a big city or a small town? Why?
- Who has it tougher when making their way in the world - boys or girls?
- What qualities are needed to make someone a good parent?
- Should smoking cigarettes be banned?
- Should the death penalty be mandatory when a life is taken, or an "eye for an eye"?
- Is the "Right to Die" a true right?
- Is it ethical to use animals for research purposes?
- Is the problem of domestic violence exaggerated, or should we be doing more?
- Are we prisoners of technological progress?
- Should there be separate schools for boys and girls?
- In public areas such as theatres and restaurants, should the use of mobile phones be restricted?
- What do you believe is going to happen first - the next World War, or our planet becoming inhospitable due to global warming?